I’m just about to embark on a connected set of stories that will add to my growing pieces of work that encompass the Sigils and Totems idea. A Meikle Mythos if you like.
It’s a simple enough concept.
There are houses like this all over the world. Most people only know of them from whispered stories over campfires; tall tales told to scare the unwary. But some, those who suffer… some know better. They are drawn to the places where what ails them can be eased.
If you have the will, the fortitude, you can peer into another life, where the dead are not gone, where you can see that they thrive and go on, in the dreams that stuff is made of.
There it is in a nutshell. There are houses where people can go to get in touch with their dead loved ones.
But this gives me lots of things to play with. To even get inside a room, you need a sigil; a tattoo or carving on your skin, and a totem, a memento of your loved one. Then there’s the fact that your loved one might be a parallel universe version rather than the one you actually know.
And where do these houses come from? What’s behind the walls? How do they work? Why do they work? And who chooses the concierges who run them? Or fixes them when they don’t work?
So I’ve got all that to play with, plus the fact that the houses can exist anywhere, at any time. They’re like lots of boxy, multi-faceted Tardis, spread across space time, places and situations into which I can hook in characters and stories.
I think I’ve stumbled into something that could keep me busy for a few years more to come.
The first two novellas that used the concept, BROKEN SIGIL and PENTACLE were both well received. There’s two novels coming from DarkFuse that expand the idea further, SONGS OF DREAMING GODS, where a house is lying empty in the town center of St. Johns, Newfoundland after a brutal ritual murder, and THE BOATHOUSE, where the rooms are on an old whaling boat in a derelict shed and seem connected to an old chess set, and the arrival of a hurricane.
- Songs of Dreaming Gods (coming soon from DarkFuse)
- The Boathouse (coming soon from DarkFuse)
- Broken Sigil (DarkFuse)
- Pentacle (DarkFuse)
- The Job (DarkFuse Magazine)
- The Midnight Eye: Farside (Coming soon from Occult Detective Quarterly Presents…)
- Renewal ( The Black Room Manuscripts Volume 2 / The Sinister Horror Company )
- Stars and Sigils ( Halfway to Anywhere / Sinister Grin Press)
- Carnacki: The Edinburgh Townhouse – coming soon in a new collection from Lovecraft ezine
- The House of the Dead – coming soon in THE GHOST CLUB collection from Crystal Lake Publishing
- Outposts – coming soon in Further tales of Cthulhu Invictus / Golden Goblin Press
- The Yellow Room – TBA
- Refugee – TBA
I’ve also got an idea for a big honking fantasy trilogy using the concept, but that’ll have to wait until I’ve got time to do it justice.
Wish me luck, I’m about to knock on the door again.