As of today, since the start of June I’ve written over 175,000 words, which, I’m pretty sure, makes this the most concentrated stint of my writing life so far, stretching back to 1992.
And it’s happened because I made a conscious decision to change my method sightly. I used to be a ‘pantser’ in the main, heading into the void to see what happened, but, starting with a short novel in June that required me to do an outline for the potential publisher, I’ve been outlining / modifying the plot both before I start and as I go along. Most days I’ve had the next day’s writing plotted out before I go to bed the night before.
It seems to have loosened me up and allows me to plough on with getting words down, and has got my fingers flying.
I’ve said before, writing fast seems to be the best way for me to go about it, and this method of pre-plotting has just added to that.
If it continues to go this way for the next few months, I’m going to have a lot of new material ready to show to publishers, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what I can come up with over the next few years.
Onward and upward!